Wednesday, July 10, 2013

Tuna Casserole for a Crowd


This is a new recipe I tried the other night with my family.  I found this recipe in the 1989 Tel-A-Cook cookbook, which I acquired at a yard sale or second-hand bookstore.  I did tweak the recipe a little to make substitutions as well as add-ins.  I will probably add bell peppers the next time I fix this dish.

Give this dish a try and let me know what you think.


Tuna Casserole for a Crowd

INGREDIENTS:

2 c. elbow macaroni
1 (8 oz.) pkg reduced fat cream cheese, softened
1 can cream of mushroom soup
2 cans tuna, drained and flaked
1 can mushroom stems, drained
1 Tbsp. onion flakes
3 Tbsp. pimientos, chopped
ground black pepper to taste
1 tsp. prepared mustard
1/3 c. milk (reduced fat is fine)
1/2 c bread crumbs (I used plain Planko bread crumbs)
2 Tbsp. butter, melted (I used butter flavored spray Pam)

Cook macaroni using package directions and drain.  Preheat oven to 375 degrees.

Beat cream cheese and soup in bowl until smooth.  Add next nine ingredients (everything except the bread crumbs and butter) and the macaroni; mix well.  

Pour mixture into 9 x 13 dish.  Combine bread crumbs and melted butter in bowl.  NOTE:  if you omit butter, spray bread crumbs with butter flavored Pam to reduce fat - some crumbs will fly out of dish due to the air coming from the aerosol can.  Sprinkle over tuna mixture.

Bake at 375 degrees for 20-25 minutes or until heated through.  Serves 6-8 people.


No comments:

Post a Comment